Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Path, Who AM I?

 Once Upon a Time...a boy fell in love with the Faerie Realm.

I am twenty-nine years of age. Ever since I could remember I have attached myself to folklore, relishing in my ever expanding imagination. As a child my simple forest-green room was transformed into dark dry caverns, watery hollows and royal halls where anything and everything was possible. I would transform into a Magician, a Hermit and a King all in one day. I had a language with the wolves, they were my allies and sometimes they shared with me the mysterious secrets of transformation.

As every child certainly does, I started to hear whispers from my Grandparents. "Have you heard about Little Red Riding Hood?", they would ask. "Or perhaps you would like to hear about the fairy that cast a spell upon a kingdom, which fell asleep for one hundred years?" And I would fall prey to their stories, seeking the finer details. "How can a slipper really only fit one girl?", "Where did the little people come from?", "Why was the wolf bad?", "What did Rumpelstiltskin need a child for?" Most of the time they tried to answer eventually appeasing me with books and music documenting this other world, a world of witches and wonder.

Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone, 1977



My desire for answers led me to a Faerie-Ring in the thick forest of my imagination and as these things have certain tendencies, I have not left. For once you enter a Faerie-Ring it is uncertain you will ever leave. The little folk whisper enchantments and feed you with riches and before you have the capability of questioning the time, twenty years have past.

Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone, 1977


My journey into literature began on a path of Yellow Brick, followed by flight and sophisticated wardrobes. I quickly knew the likes of Peter Pan & Wendy, Dorothy & the Wizard, and the Pevensie's.


Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone, 1977


As I grew I recognized that the sophistication of my beloved stories developed from the minds of master storytellers. Those who obsess with The Brothers Grimm eventually discover Hans Christian Anderson and Charles Purrault. In college I sought out the origin for most of these tales. Many were original and many were collected. Tales that The Brothers Grimm, Jacob & Wilhelm collected were an oral tradition shared and passed down before bright burning fireplaces and lonely cottages all over Europe. Germany, France, England, Norway, Sweden all had their own individual intricate and unique folktales. Some tales were simple and delightful, some were cautionary warning people to not underestimate the power of redemption, romance and Faeries. Each country had their special creation. France had Little Red Riding Hood, and versions of the Little Cinder-girl. Jacob & Wilhelm collected and published the likes of Hansel & Gretel, Snow White & Rapunzel. The Danish Hans Christian Anderson gave us a lonely Mermaid who wished to be a human. 

In the light of Jacob and Wilhelm, in the light of Hans Christian Anderson & Charles Purrault I want this blog to seek out, create and collect  Faerie Stories. This is to be a forum where I can explore different realms, different lands, and talk about many tales. I will utilize literature, film, music and the developing cyber world to ascertain and look upon how Fairy Tales continue to persevere.  It is my mission to discover and continue painting the world with Folklore.

 W. C. Gratza July, 2014


Arthur Rackham, 1921





2 comments:

  1. Love your blog, Bill! Very inspiring. Great artwork--wow! Keep up the good work! Love always, Amy

    ReplyDelete